Saturday, July 26, 2008

How Not To Burnout Gamers on DLC

image

I read this post on the Playstation Blog and it made me chuckle and wince at the same time. You see the folks at Criterion Games are very happy with the user response to the Cagney content for Burnout Paradise. In fact online play hit its highest numbers in four months. See this is what downloadable content should do, and I am not even talking about the free part.

What I mean is that DLC should be released a few months after the games initial release in order to bring players back to game they have already forgotten they had. It is why I hate it so much when DLC is released the same day the game is, or even a week after the game is. It is too soon, I am still playing the game I paid 60 bucks and I have no intention in spending more on it right now. But if you release good content a few months down the line and you stand a good chance of reeling me back in.

Why hasn’t every game publisher figured this out? Do they realize that this tactic also lessens the chance of people trading the game in? Less used copies available, the more people will have to buy new ones, you know the versions the publishers make money off of. They are so concerned with the quick buck that they fail to see how valuable a long term commitment to consumer can be. I still believe that it is not too late for DLC to be done right more often then it is done wrong. We are not there yet, but even if it is just one developer at time that sees the light, I will be happy.

No comments: